скользить один по другому
• When two blocks of the earth's crust slide past each other, ...
• Silicate sheets in talk can slide over each other fairly easily.
• There are no internal movements of rock inside the Moon that are at all comparable with ...
• For water treatment to be anywhere near efficient, one should ...
• Few ...
• The parts are designed for long wear.
• This requires apparatus patterned after that used in ...
• A clamp exerting a controlled force could be devised (or designed).
• Very short columns sometimes show a buildup (or an accumulation) of immobilized surfactant near ...
• More likely the bulk of the outflow consists of ...
• What is most significant is not the philosophical appeal of ... ; rather it is the growing conviction that ...
скорее ... , а не
• When a salt dissociates in solution, it is the ions rather than the molecules which (or that) diffuse.
скорее ... , чем
• A process of this type is more likely to be spontaneous at a high temperature than at a low temperature.
• The charge-coupling concept is basically of semiconductor ...
• At least three, and more likely four such bends have been observed.
скорее похож на
• A joint fracture is more in the nature of a tensional crack.
см. в скором времени
. взвешенный по скорости; набирать скорость; с переменной скоростью; со скоростью
• Metal removal rate is ...
USAGE: скорость звука (света)
• The speed (or velocity) of sound (light).
• The rate of photon production ...
• The rate of formation of acetylcholine ...
USAGE: скорость подъёма (аэростата)
• Ascensional rate.
• Rate of climb (or ascent).
USAGE: скорость звука (света)
• The speed (or velocity) of sound (light).
• These structural materials are held together by fasteners.
• The glass fibers are held together with a suitable binder.
• The two halves of the clamp are secured together ...
. наглухо скреплять
• A bolt is used to fasten objects together.
• Twenty-seven of the plates are then fastened (or clamped) together.
скрывать от нашего взора
• Clouds conceal most of Jupiter's surface.
• The surface features of Venus have been veiled from view by a permanent cloak of clouds.
• It is not yet possible to estimate how many other such fields may lie hidden in the Earth's crust.
• Energy latent in the nucleus of an atom ...
• Meagre experimental data suggest that ...
• The paucity of data on comets ...
• Scant() information ...
слабая связь с
• This nucleoside shows only rather loose correlation to groups.
• The formaldehyde molecule is only weakly (or slightly) attracted to benzene molecules.
• If the waveguide is only slightly absorbing, ...
• This ion shows a weak absorption in the visible region.
слабо зависеть от
• The rates of such processes depend only slightly (or weakly) on the molecular diffusivity.
• The composition of the melt has only a weak dependence on the composition of the ...
• Simple organic acids are only slightly (or weakly) ionized in aqueous solution.
• These tendencies appear only slightly in arsenic and more strongly in antimony.
слабо растворим в
• These compounds are poorly (or sparingly, or only slightly) soluble in water.
• Metals are characterized by loosely held (or bound) valence electrons.
• The weak point in this suggestion lay in the fact that ...
• Hydrogen is only slightly (or poorly, or sparingly) soluble.
• Helium has only a slight solubility.
• A dilute solution.
• Nylon is resistant to some mild acids.
• Ordinary turbulent eddies are too feeble to sustain large sand particles.
• Dimerization is only slight (or ...
• This equipment receives low-power (or weak, or feeble) signals from the spacecraft.
• The particles that make up ( из которых слагаются) nuclei ...
сладкий на вкус
• The sugars are easily soluble, sweet-tasting and crystalline.
. приближаться к ... снизу
• The illustration at the left ...
• The open ocean is to the left.
• The ion source is on the left, and the collector is on ...
• All elements to the left of the grouping B-Si-Ge-Sb-Po are classified as metals.
• The clutch plate is in the left foreground of the figure.
• When the suspension is heated mildly (or gently, or slightly), ...
• Boiling occurs when the vapour pressure of the liquid just (or slightly) exceeds the ...
• The abundance of each species fluctuates mildly around some definite level.
• If the rock is heated mildly (or gently, or slightly),magnesium carbonate decomposes.
. лёгкое постукивание
• Gently tap the reaction tube.
• If the clock fails to start, tap the chart plate lightly with the knuckles.
. наблюдать; не успевать следить за; необходимо следить за тем, чтобы не; тщательно следить за
следить за тем, как
• There is a method for keeping track of how a given state responds to charge conjugation.
следить за тем, чтобы
. необходимо следить за тем, чтобы не
• Be careful not to allow the air hose to become kinked.
• Care must be taken to align the ends of the ...
следить за ходом
• To follow the course of the titration, ...
• The only way to keep track of the process is with the aid of flow diagrams.
• It would be well to put these theories to a test.
. а, следовательно, и; вследствие этого; и, следовательно; поэтому
• Consequently, it is not necessary to read every ...
. за которым последует; за ним следует; за ... последовал; за ... следует; за этим следует; из ... ...
. явствовать из
• This is evident from Eq. (2-5).
• Bromine can be handled safely, but the recommendations of the manufacturers should be respected.
см. результат; являться результатом
. необходимо; нужно
• One additional feature needs to (or should) be recognized.
следует иметь в виду
• It is well to bear in mind that the net radiative contribution of carbon dioxide is to cool the atmosphere.
• It should be borne in mind (or It should be remembered) that ...
следует отличать от
• Bus-bars are distinguished from connection bars, which interconnect ...
• Fine solder should be distinguished from soft solder in which equal parts of lead and tin are ...
следует отметить, что
• We emphasize that this is of special importance.
• Notice that such products have just appeared on the market.
• It might be well to point out [or It should be pointed ...
следует помнить, что
. следует иметь в виду
• It should be remembered (or One important point to remember is) that these deviations are constant.
• Remember, this process is ...
• In designing the cooling die, provision should be made for 40-50% increase in ...
следует прибегнуть к ... для
• When the known properties of are expressed in terms of these coordinates it is then the province of differential geometry to investigate their consequences.
следует признать, что
• Admittedly, the probability of success under these circumstances had to be regarded as very small.
• A point that should be mentioned is (or It should be mentioned) that one can write ...
• Worthy of mention are the supercooling and freezing of water.
• Some of these ...
• When checking the calibration of the measuring instrument against a standard potentiometer, account must be taken of [or one should take account of (or take into account)] the ...
• A directional derivative in the direction of λ is an expansion of the form: ...
• The precise formulation of the limit concept used here is as follows (or the following):
• The following procedure is used: ...
• Each successive electron is held by ...
• The switches feeding each department were connected as follows [or in the following manner (or way)]: ...
• Remove the door by proceeding as follows: ...
• The ...
см. носить на себе следы
• The use of a file would cause undesirable marking() on the surface of the work.
• Sodium sulphate crystallizes out and the solution is decanted away from it.
• The fluid is discharged from the plant inlet scrubber to ... ...
• The intensity and composition of galactic cosmic rays in the region where the solar system merges into the interstellar space will be studied.
• The Interior Plains merge ...
сливаться с фоном
• The most common form of protection among beetles is coloration that blends into the background.
• In a perfectly inelastic collision the colliding bodies stick together after collision, as two colliding balls of putty would do.
. не слишком трудно; чрезмерно
• Most chemical reactions of molecular species are (far) too slow to sustain a biochemical chain of events.
• An ...
• If the Moon, Triton, Pluto and Mercury are all lumped together, you would have a body which would be nearly twice as massive as Mars.
USAGE: сложная операция (по обработке металла и т.п.)
• For tough (or complicated) jobs, the latter lubricant works best.
• Molecular spectral interferences are a complicated (or intricate) problem (or a challenge).
• Castings of intricate (or complex) shapes involve ...
• The change of period is complicated to calculate.
• The process is especially applicable in producing intricately (or complex-)shaped parts.
• The complexity of the reaction ...
• The severity of the problem is often influenced by psychological factors.
• Telescopes of increasing sophistication (or ...
. глубокий анализ; громоздкий; трудоёмкий
• The calculations become more intricate (or tedious, or involved, or cumbersome).
• This is a ...
• This is an involved (or intricate, or complicated) question.
. внешний слой; наносить слой на; осаждаться слоями
• The thermocouples are placed in the catalyst bed.
• The process of applying ...
• The fabric of the main envelope or pressure hull of an airship is usually made up of two or three plies of cloth.
• Beds of sedimentary rock are initially deposited in horizontal layers.
служить в качестве
• The polyethylene sheets served as an insulation.
• A corona discharge creates numerous free radicals that go to work (or serve) as chemical catalysts.
• This serves to average the statistical fluctuations.
служить дольше, чем
• Although ceramic and carbide coatings are brittle, they may be durable enough to outlast the softer substrate ...
• This portion of the coating is taken to be a measure of the oxygen content.
служить основой для
• This method can form the basis of (or serve as the (or ) basis for) a separation process.
• The first law of thermodynamics provides the basis for the calculation of the ...
• To what purpose can a computer of this large size be applied?
• This cement serves a number of useful purposes.
• The purpose that is served by this process is ...
служить этой цели
• Only protons and neutrons contained in nuclei will serve the purpose.
см. бывает и наоборот; как часто случается
. в большинстве случаев; в других случаях; в ином случае; в исключительных случаях; в крайнем ...
• This enables the pump to be started up without danger in the event of the discharge valve being inadvertently left closed.
• Many discoveries are made by accident (or ...
• The resemblance is coincidental (or accidental).
• To prevent accidental loosening of the fastening by vibration, ...
• This led Oersted to the accidental discovery of ...
случилось так, что
• As it happened (or It happened that) the problem was resolved in spite of ...
. без смазки; работа без смазки; работа со смазкой; с принудительной смазкой; со смазкой; ...
• Joint surfaces of all unions should be smeared (or lubricated) with graphite paste.
• This equation applies when the liquid wets the orifice.
• If the paper is moistened with ammonia, it is coloured blue-black.
• This variety of opal is opaque but becomes transparent when soaked in water.
• The distance between adjacent holes should be the same.
• Renewable bushings are designed for ...
• The burner is supplied with three interchangeable nozzles.
• Then the cold climate gave way to moderate conditions.
сменяющие друг друга
• The seafloor was spreading during alternating periods of normal and reversed polarity.
• A number of fatalities (or fatal cases) at the plant were attributed to gas poisoning.
. в смеси с; тесная смесь
• Five blends (or mixtures) of toluene and (or with) methylcyclohexane were prepared.
• This concrete mix was of a better ...
см. составление сметы на
• Expanded pearlites blended (or mixed) with cement are effective blocking agents.
• The system shows complete liquid and solid miscibility.
. не смешивающийся с водой
• Liquid hydrogen peroxide mixes with water in all proportions.
• No. 2 feed gas is blended (or mixed) with the cracked, cool ...
• The zero is shifted to a higher position.
• The equilibrium must be displaced in the direction of ...
• The two ions have become displaced from their normal lattice ...
• The coil is mounted in a long silver tube (or on a support).
. можно найти в
• For a detailed discussion of this subject see Chapter VI.
• See Section 3.9 for a more detailed discussion of ...
• Refer to Fig. 728.
• Barium minerals moistened with hydrochloric acid give ...
• Cotton wool moistened with strong ammonia may be used as a swab.
• The specimen is swabbed with cotton wool ...
• Oil is flooded on the honing area to flush away chips.
• A cleaner component is rinsed from (or washed off) metal surfaces.
• This product can be sprayed on and rinsed ...
• Rains wash large quantities of loose soil down mountain slopes into the adjacent canyons.
• The lighter gangue material is washed off the table.
смываться в море
• Many salts which are washable in water will be washed into the sea over many years.
• A current produces a magnetic field to magnetize the reeds and close the contacts.
. в некотором смысле; в общем смысле; в полном смысле слова; в смысле; в том смысле, что; в ...
. обладать; оборудован
• Insulated electric conductors are provided with a covering of flexible material.
• Those three amino acids are provisioned (or ...
• An automatic computerized reader can check ... in 40 minutes.
. вне; с внешней стороны
• A sample cell placed outside the laser cavity produced a strong thermal lens.
• The pressure is applied externally.
• There ...
. вначале; начинать сначала; первоначально; предварительно
• With sea water, bromine must first be concentrated before the ...
• The simplest case of a diatomic molecule will be our initial concern.
• First came nylon strapping to replace steel in many applications.
сначала применялся как
• Laser-excited atomic fluorescence spectrometry had its beginning as an analytical method.
. понижать; уменьшать
• The liquid film impairs the efficiency of the column.
• The grade of rock must be kept high to hold down the shipping cost per unit ...
снижать до минимума
• The use of the new varnishes reduces maintenance costs to a minimum (or minimizes the maintenance costs).
снижать значительно ниже
• This delocalization of charge reduces the charge density significantly below that of an "isolated" ion.
• Strong interactions significantly degrade the communications quality.